Dr. Joseph M. Bellapianta is an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in arthroscopic and open treatment of the hip, knee, ankle, shoulder, elbow, and wrist injuries, as well as joint replacement surgery, fracture care, and general orthopaedics. He is board certified in orthopaedic surgery and is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery. Dr. Bellapianta has published many scientific articles in peer review journals and has presented this research at both national and international meetings.
Dr. Bellapianta completed a sports medicine fellowship at The Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, Florida. As a fellow, Dr. Bellapianta worked side-by-side with world-renowned orthopaedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. This voluntary year of additional training provided him with intensive exposure to all aspects of non-operative and operative musculoskeletal patient care. His team physician experience included coverage of Auburn University football and athletics, West Florida College athletics, and Flomaton, AL High School athletics. He worked closely with high-level college and professional athletes during this time developing the surgical and non-surgical skills needed to treat this population. During his fellowship Dr. Bellapianta supported Dr. Andrews in the treatment of professional athletes from organizations such as the New York Yankees, Mets, Giants, Rangers and many other organizations across the country.
Dr. Bellapianta performed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Albany Medical Center mastering skills in trauma and joint reconstruction. At this high volume regional medical center, he treated both routine and rare orthopaedic injuries, only present in this type of setting. He received his medical degree at a Albany Medical College where he graduated Cum Laude and was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. He was the recipient of the Victor & Ethel Cermak Tompkins Alumni Scholarship at Albany Medical College for academic excellence. He earned a bachelor’s degree in biology at Franklin & Marshall College and his Masters of Science degree in biology at Fairleigh Dickinson University.
In his free time, Dr. Bellapianta enjoys spending time with his family, skiing, golfing, cycling, gardening, hiking, and fishing.
- Bellapianta Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine (Northern NJ & CT) (March-2016- present)
- Medical advisory board member for the Orthopaedic Foundation for Active Lifestyles
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Health Sciences for University of Bridgeport.
- Member of: American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), AOSSM Self Assessment Committee, International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine(ISAKOS), American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), Member of the New York and Connecticut Orthopaedic Societies
- Board certification: Orthopaedic Surgery, Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Kayal Orthopaedics Center Franklin Lakes, NJ (May 2014-March 2016)
- Plancher Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Cos Cob, CT & New York, NY (Sept 2010 – April 2014), Team physician for: Manhattanville College Athletics, Long Island Lizards, professional lacrosse
- 2009 to 2010: The Andrews Institute, Gulf Breeze, FL, Sports Medicine Fellow
- 2004 to 2009: Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY, Orthopaedic Resident
- 2000 to 2004: Albany Medical College; Albany, NY, MD, May 2004
- 1999 to 2000: MCP Hahnemann University; Philadelphia, PA, Post Baccalaureate in Medicine, June 2000
- 1997 to 1999: Fairleigh Dickinson University; Teaneck, NJ, MS in Biology, May 1999
- 1993 to 1997: Franklin & Marshall College; Lancaster, PA, BA in Biology, May 1997
- Petterson SC, Bellapianta JM, Plancher KD. Bridge Between Industry and Orthopedics. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2015 (eds.) Sports Injuries. Pp 3293-3300, June 2015.
- Plancher, KD, Bellapianta JM, Rivera, AR. Examination of the Shoulder. Hand Surgery Update V. In. KC Chung and PM Murray (ed.) American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Pp. 637-646, January 2012.
- Bellapianta JM, Swartz F, Lisella J, Czajka J, Neff R, Uhl R: Randomized prospective evaluation of injection techniques for the treatment of lateral epicondylitis. Orthopedics. 9;34(11):e708-12, Nov 2011.
- Bellapianta JM, Andrews J, Ostrander R: Bilateral Os Subtibiale and Talocalcaneal Tarsal Coalition in a College Athlete: A Case Report. Journal of foot and Ankle Surgery. 50(4):462-465, May 2011.
- Lisella J, Bellapianta JM, Manoli A,: Tarsal Coalition Resection with Pes Planovalgus Hindfoot Reconstruction. The Journal of Surgical Orthopaedic Advance. 20(2):145-149, June 2011.
- Bellapianta JM, Dow K, Hospodar P, Uhl RL, Ledet EH: Threaded Screw Head Inserts Improve Locking Plate Biomechanical Properties; Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 25(2): February 2011.
- Bellapianta JM, Ljungquist KL, Tobin E, Uhl RL: Necrotizing Fasciitis: Diagnosis and Treatment; Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 17(3): 174-181, March 2009.
- Bellapianta JM, Gerdeman A, Sharan A, Lozman J: Use of the Reamer Irrigator Aspirator for the Treatment of a 20-Year Recurrent Osteomyelitis of a Healed Femur Fracture: A Case Report; Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 21(5):343-346, May 2007.
- DiCaprio MR, Bellapianta JM: Use of Radiofrequency Ablation in the Treatment of Bone Tumors; Techniques in Orthopaedics. 22(2):99-109, June 2007.
- Bellapianta JM, Economedes D, Onyedika I, Lavelle W, Demers E, Whipple R: Hand Pain in Smith HS (ed) Current Therapy in Pain; Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2007.
Current Research and Pending Publications
- Bellapianta, JM, Winnier, S, Nillsen, E, Andrews J: Retrograde Intramedulary Headless Compression Screw Fixation for Distal Fibular Fractures. Data analysis and manuscript preparation in progress.
- Escamilla R, Bellapianta JM, Zheng N, Winnier S, Andrews J: Knee Biomechanics During the Golf Swing. IRB approved. Data analysis and manuscript preparation in progress.
- Leland JM, Bellapianta JM, Aronowitz ER: Functional Analysis After Distal Biceps Tendon Repair Using the Endobutton Technique. Manuscript being prepared.
- Bellapianta JM, Minocha R, DiCaprio MR: A Unique Case of the Smallest Reported Primary High Grade Extraskeletal Osteosarcoma; American Journal of Surgical Pathology. Submitted and under review.
- Bellapianta JM: Giving Injections in an Orthopaedic Surgery Office: Specifics and Examples and Upper Extremity Ultrasound Pathology, San Francisco, CA August 2016
- Bellapianta JM: Upper Extremity Ultrasound Pathology, San Francisco, CA June 2015.
- Bellapianta JM: Advanced Ultrasound Techniques of the Upper Extremity, San Francisco, CA June 2014.
- Bellapianta JM: MRI vs. MRA: Is Intraarticular Contrast Necessary; Las Vegas, NV, December 2013.
- Bellapianta JM: Advanced Ultrasound Techniques and Integration of Ultrasound into your Practice; Las Vegas, NV, December 2012.
- Bellapianta JM: How I use Ultrasound in My office; Presented at: Emerging Techniques in Orthopaedics; Las Vegas, NV, December 2011.
- Bellapianta JM, Plancher KD: Analysis of Evidence Based Medicine for Shoulder Instability; Presented at: Eastern Orthopaedic Association 41st Annual Meeting; Naples, FL, October 16 2010.
- Bellapianta JM: Principals of Wound Closure in Considerations of the Elderly and Those With Comorbid Medical Conditions; Presented at: The Andrews Institute: Wound Closure Certification Course; Gulf Breeze, FL, February 2010.
- Bellapianta JM, Kaufman E, Conroy M, Lisella J, Czajka J, Uhl RL: A Prospective Evaluation of Injection Techniques for the Treatment of Lateral Epicondylitis. Presented at: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) meeting; Las Vegas, NV February 2009.
- Mulligan M, Bellapianta JM, Deepak V, Uhl RL: The Effect of Nonenzymatic Glycation on Cancellous Bone: A Comparison Between Osteoarthritic Hips vs. Femoral Neck Fractures. Preliminary results were presented in February 2009 at the AAOS meeting in Las Vegas, NV.
- Mulligan M, Bellapianta JM, Deepak V, Uhl RL: The Effect of Nonenzymatic Glycation on Cancellous Bone: A Comparison Between Osteoarthritic Hips vs. Femoral Neck Fractures. Presented at: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) meeting; Las Vegas, NV February 2009
- Leland JM, Bellapianta JM, Aronowitz ER: Functional Analysis After Distal Biceps Tendon Repair Using the Endobutton Technique; Presented at: Eastern Orthopaedic Association (EOA) meeting; Las Vegas, NV, October 2008.
- Bellapianta JM, Minocha R, DiCaprio MR: A Unique Case of the Smallest Reported Primary High Grade Extraskeletal Osteosarcoma; Presented at: Translational Symposium: Transforming Basic Science into Clinical Practice; Albany, NY, September 2008.
- Bellapianta JM, Dow K, Hospodar PP, Uhl RL, Ledet EH: Threaded Screw Head Inserts Improve Locking Plate Biomechanical Properties; Presented at: AAOS; San Francisco, CA, March 2008 & The Orthopaedic Trauma Association (OTA) meeting; Boston, MA, October 2007.
- Bellapianta JM: General Orthopaedic Lecture Series; Presented at: Albany Medical Center Physician Assistant Program, Albany, NY, Fall 2007.
- Bellapianta JM: Necrotizing Fasciitis: A Review and Case Report; Presented at: Albany Medical Center surgery grand rounds September 2006, Albany, NY and to New York State prison healthcare workers via teleconference, March 2007.
- Lavelle W, Bellapianta JM, Cheney R: Recurrent fracture after Vertebral Kyphoplasty Paper#42; Presented at: Scoliosis Research Society European and Middle East Meeting Swissotel, Istanbul, Turkey, May 2006
- Bellapianta JM: Bone Morphogenic Protein-7 (OP-1); Presented at: Albany Medical Center pathology grand rounds, Albany, NY, August 2002.
- Bellapianta JM, Isquith IR: Salinity Tolerance and Feeding Habits of the Common Northern Barnacle in Two Tidal Rivers of Maine; Fairleigh Dickinson University; Teaneck, NJ, May 1998.
Honors and Awards
- Dean’s List, Franklin & Marshall College, 1996
- Cum Laude, Albany Medical College, 2004
- Member of Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society, Theta of New York, 2003
- Recipient of the Victor & Ethel Cermak Tompkins Alumni Scholarship at Albany Medical College, Albany, NY for academic excellence, 2001-2004
- Past and present sideline physician for: Hartford Colonials football, Manhattanville College athletics, Auburn University football, Washington Redskins football, Flomaton Alabama High School football, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute men’s and women’s hockey, State University of New York men’s lacrosse, New York’s Empire State Games, TNA wrestling, and also helped evaluate athletes at New York Giants spring training and Saratoga Race Track
- Associate Shoulder Arthroscopy Instructor for AANA and Ultrasound Instructor for Institute for Advanced Medical Education ultrasound courses
- Gascov Clerge´ Foundation, Garden City, NY- medical mission to Les Cayes, Haiti (August, 2001)
- Avid skier, cyclist, and golfer